Sunday, April 17, 2011

Me and My Muddled Accent

Over time, and definitely due to my international experience, I've been losing my native accent. I have never noticed it myself, but it has been brought to my attention by former coworkers, random people on the street in Israel, and even my family. I've been told that not only has my pronunciation changed, but also that my rhythm, diction and register have changed. Nobody can put a finger on exactly what it's morphed into, but a few claim that it sounds Spanish (after I told them I had just come back from Spain).

I have mixed feelings toward this transformation. On one hand, being an American without one of the ugliest accents in the English speaking world (the American accent) is a plus. It is also something that might give me more of an "international aire" and, thus, perhaps an advantage with employers or graduate schools actively pursuing more diversity. On the other hand, my accent is muddled and indistinguishable. It is neither blatantly American nor blatantly belonging to any other country or culture. I feel that while it may be intriguing to some people, it could also be something that would unconsciously create space between me and someone who is less accepting of foreign-seeming people (would only be a problem in America I feel).

Ya. I'm probably thinking too much about my stupid accent. But it's interesting that it's happened. And interesting what might happen as a result of it.

2 comments:

  1. I once had an American abroad explain to me something that was blatantly American and I replied, "Yeah, I know, I am an American too..." She just looked at me surprised.

    I'm more than happy that this has happened. I'm scared my real accent will/is come back. I need to get out of this country again for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a time in London when an American tourist passing me on the street gushed about what a fabulous subway system "you British" have. I told her I was an American, too, so I couldn't take a bit of credit for the public transportation. Being able to blend in outside the U.S. can be revealing, so good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete